This dress has been in my to-be-refashioned pile for almost a year, now. When I first got it, I thought it would make an excellent work dress, but then we moved and I didn’t have a job, so I didn’t have the motivation to work on it. But now I’m employed! And my work has a real dress code (this is my first job to have an actual dress code), so I have to look all professional. The main sticking point is that our skirts have to be down to the knee, and I have a lot of really nice work dresses that are just a bit too short for that requirement. So this little number jumped on up in the priority scale. Please forgive the blurry before photo, from back in our old apartment.
Hoo, boy. Check out that baby pink top half. And that weird batwing sleeve thing going on. (You may remember from my Valentine’s dress that I’m not the biggest fan of batwing sleeves). Also, that navy button at the collar was incongruent.
The first thing I did was throw it in a dye bath with a dress from my very first refashioning post. Purple!
Once it was done dying, it sat with the rest of my to-be-refashioneds for most of a year, while I moved and made new friends and refashioned some other dresses and whatnot. Come on out, dress!
The first thing I knew I wanted to do was change the shape of the neckline. That round collar with the big navy button wasn’t doing it for me. So I turned it under and stitched.
Then, I cut off a bunch of the sleeves because they were weirdly long and tight at the end, just to make it easier to work with them. I wanted to move the waistline up, and since there was already a seam on the top of the sleeves, I decided to take it up from the shoulder:
And finally, I changed the shape of the armpits.
And that was it! I must admit, this isn’t my favorite after ever ever, but it’s a work dress, so it doesn’t have to be my favorite item of clothing. Besides that, it’s so very very improved from what it was before that I’ll take it.
I will look so proper and assistant-y! That concludes this week’s terrible to wearable!