Refashion Friday: Tropical Jungle Sundress

S on SnowdoniaI’ve been performing and keeping busy so much this month! Last night I had my seventh performance of the month, and I still have three more this weekend. Last night’s show went great, and was a different show than the other one I’ll be performing throughout the weekend. It was a blast, and I can’t wait for this weekend’s performances.

So I finally had some energy and time for a refashion this week, and it’s (almost) a no-sew refashion. This jungle dress has been sitting in my refashion pile for a while now, and I just kept putting it off. I’m not really that much a fan of tropical prints, so I knew this one was going to involve some dye. And it did involve some dye, but none of it really took because I’m apparently very bad at dye, so I had to make do with a jungle print in the end. But I actually really like the end result, so there’s that.

Here’s the dress as it was:

tropical sundress before

It was too much color and too much tropical ruffling. And the empire waistline with the ruffles under wasn’t the most flattering shape. So first I wanted to deal with the color. I had a little yellow dye lying around, so I decided to give that a shot. I figured it would make the blue greener and the green yellower, thus evening out all the yellow, green, blue splotchiness going on. Unfortunately, it mostly just made the dress brighter and more jungly looking. So I decided to go to the store and buy some real RIT dye to dye it darker blue to again deepen the whole thing. The light is bad in this picture so you can’t see how bright the print was after the yellow dye, but there’s the box of blue dye on top.

tropical sundress during

I followed the washing machine directions on the box, but alas, my washing machine decided it didn’t want to play. It drained all the dye water out after only about ten minutes, so the dress didn’t get to soak as long as it should have, and the blue ended up just toning down the brightness but doing nothing to make the dress less jungly. The dress is 100% cotton, so I think if it had soaked as long as it should have, the dress would have come out deep blue/turquoise with just some variations noticeable instead of being obviously tropical. Ah, well. I decided to just make it work.

So I got out my seam ripper and picked the ruffle off the bottom of the dress, and then ironed it and tied it around the waist. I took the shoulder straps in a little bit, and that was that. Done!

tropical sundress after

It looks quite cute, if I do say so myself, especially for a tropical dress. I think it will be good to wear to a street fair that’s happening in our neighborhood this weekend.

tropical before and after

Advertisements

One thought on “Refashion Friday: Tropical Jungle Sundress

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s